Minerals - Oh LaLa!

 Week 2: Is it a Mineral?

Diamonds are a girl's best friend


 I didn't get a chance to explore my area as I was out of town over the weekend for a family matter. I was staring at my earrings sitting on my computer. I was thinking about diamonds being a mineral. After some research, I found that diamonds are a rare, naturally occurring mineral composed of carbon. Each carbon atom in a diamond is surrounded by four other carbon atoms and connected to them by strong covalent bonds. 


This is the structure of a diamond. I found that we see these minerals all the time in the jewelry we wear whether it is a watch, necklace, or earring. Have we gotten to know where it comes from? and how is it created? Especially how we collect them to create such wearable items. I like diamonds simply because it is my birthstone so naturally, I am attracted to shiny things. 
(geology.com references)



This is a diamond in its natural form, before cutting and polishing it. Quartz, corundum, and zircon are some of the minerals that can be found near diamonds. For more fun facts and information regarding diamonds. Information can be found at Diamond

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hurricane Harvey makes landfall overnight in Texas

Aloha 'Oe