GeoJournal Finale
Week 1
Hi, my name is Camellia Kaafi, you can call me Lia (Lee-yah). I am originally from Salt Lake City, UT, and currently reside in College Station, TX. My husband’s job (gas/oil industry) brought us this way. We lived in Central Pennsylvania before that for 4 years. We frequently traveled before coronavirus and it has slowed down quite a bit. I am majoring in Business Administration. I am taking this course to fulfill my electives. I have always been interested in how the earth is shaped from weather, down to the things humans do to shape their worlds around mother nature.
This photo above is a picture of one of the hikes we took to visit Arches National Park in Moab, UT. We drive back and forth to Salt Lake City because of coronavirus and it has been nice to see the wonders that the earth provides for us. I decided to write about Sedimentology, which is the study of natural sediments and of the processes by which they are formed. Stratigraphy is the study of rock layers and their formation.
This next photo is of my husband Sione modeling for us at one of the arches at this national park and what a wonder it is to see rocks with these kinds of shapes and sizes. As we took the drive around the mountain seeing the different rock formation, we passed by one rock that was called the balancing rock. It looked like a scoop of ice cream sitting on top of the skinny, narrow pedestal underneath. We stopped by to look at it and see that from the weather that Utah has from year to year, there is so much that could affect these formations in order for us to enjoy and take in as onlookers.
I see geology in all my travels. I have been to the islands where my ancestors migrated from (Tonga). I also have been to New Zealand, Japan, Fiji, Australia, and many more within the United States. We both love the outdoors, camping, hiking and anything recreational. Obviously in Utah, you miss seeing the mountains and we are getting to know the part of Texas we are in. We are an hour and a half away from Houston, 2 hours from San Antonio and Austin, and 2 ½ hours from Dallas. We are a college town, home of Texas A&M University (Go Aggies!) I work at the airport so when it was football season we always watched all the planes come in from all the colleges they played. The world around us is constantly changing and we can see it affect the land, weather, and everything we touch.
Happy Exploration Earthlings!
Week 2: Is it a Mineral?
Diamonds are a girl's best friend
I didn't get a chance to explore my area as I was out of town over the weekend for a family matter. I was staring at my earrings sitting on my computer. I was thinking about diamonds being a mineral. After some research, I found that diamonds are a rare, naturally occurring mineral composed of carbon. Each carbon atom in a diamond is surrounded by four other carbon atoms and connected to them by strong covalent bonds.
Week 03 - Volcanic eruptions
A-L-O-H-A my fellow geologists!
When you look at all the photos from your latest vacation or your family member or friend's last adventure do you ever think about a VOLCANO in Hawaii! If you haven't greeted the beautiful atmosphere or took a quick swim in the blue, clear ocean. Let's go for a little field trip!
Week 4 - Sedimentary Rocks
I do not live in an area that has many rocks meaning like nature unless you call the university students here the 'animals' in this jungle. I live in a college town so the majority of what is around is man-made. I am at the gym on a daily basis and noticed we have cement all around us. It brought to mind about limestone. Texas does not have anything compared to Utah or Colorado that I grew up around. Being in Texas has taught me to learn more about my surroundings. I know that a lot of the processes we learned this week were about how sedimentary rocks are formed and transported. Nearby we have the Brazos River (brah-zoh).
I wanted to give you an idea of the river and present some information from what is around me besides a Starbucks or McDonald's. 😄 This river runs through the majority of Bryan-College Station area where I live. I have witnessed seeing a lot of limestone and a mixture of other types of rocks.
I know that because of this river, different types of sediment have passed through here, and because of chemical weathering limestone and sandstone has been created in large amounts. Mainly being formed by broken pieces of seashell, and fragments of calcite. Galveston, Texas is about 126 miles from my house and I know that a lot of sediment evidence is there because it is near an ocean. There is evidence of trace fossils being present in the area as burrowing animals and remains of organisms figuratively for the state of Texas is plenty.
I felt like looking at this photo can not replace being there or having my own photo. I further researched my area and found that this photo may be of sandstone because of the reddish color. As well as the presence of chert, I have to conclude that the area I am in has the presence of limestone but there is evidence of other types of sedimentary rocks nearby. Thanks for reading this week! Keep on ROCK'in it!
References:
https://www.brazos.org/about-us/about-the-bra/about-the-brazos-river
http://www.asergeev.com/pictures/archives/2011/978/browsers.htm
Week 5 - Metamorphic Constructions Materials
This is my actual home where we live in Central Texas. It has many different types of granite and the color range from red, brown, and white-ish tones and the number of our house is using a slate rock material and is a dark grey color. My neighbor's houses are made of brick that is red and maroon. Depending on the area the houses can get pretty extravagant in construction materials and expenses can skyrocket.
Week 05 - Science vs Religion
When it comes to science and religion, I think the science aspect is aiming to prove and measure when events occurred and why it did. Science is looking for proof that things exist for a reason and that they search for a version of the "truth". Similarly science and religion both look for some form of truth. The difference between the two are searching for truth. Religion is based on faith and hope, in the scriptures we know it mainly contains testaments of individuals who overcame struggle and hardships in order to be a witness of God. In the church we aim to know the truth in the spiritual side and using tested ways of prayer, fasting and going to the temple for answers.
Much like the life of Jesus Christ and the sacrifice he made for us. The Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price are testaments or we can call it "journal entries". We know so many stories from the Creation, the Fall, the Atonement and many more where they testify of the experiences they faced.
This link The Gospel and the Scientific View (F. Kent Nielsen, Special Issue: Old Testament) is what I found on the church website where I found interesting tidbits. It also has a few geology references in it too. I've added a few quotes that helped me understand and know how to separate the two subjects.
Science:
1. "science has come to mean not a method for understanding how nature does work, but a particular philosophy about how nature has to work."
2. “uniformitarianism”—the idea that present geological changes are the key to understanding all those of the past—not catastrophes, creations, or divine interventions.
Religion:
1. “faith is … the principle … of power”
2. By this power, all things “exist, by it they are upheld, by it they are changed, or by it they remain, agreeable to the will of God” (D&C 88:47, 49)
3. The laws which maintain the natural order constitute “truth,” which is “independent” only “in that sphere in which God has placed [them]” (D&C 93:30)
This talk has so much knowledge and it shared so much of what I thought about the two subjects that come up a lot while being a student and talking with various backgrounds and understanding how they interpret things.
Happy Week 6 Y'all!!
Category: Tropical Depression (NHC/CPHC), Category 4 Hurricane
Damage: estimated $125 billion
I thought that it was devastating to see how this hurricane took its toll on human lives and affecting the land and everything around us. The Houston Temple was closed due to the flooding and water damages. One day when I was exploring Houston, I drove past the areas, where I could see the water lines and physical damages on the buildings, and freeways.
References:
https://www.climate.gov/news-features/event-tracker/reviewing-hurricane-harveys-catastrophic-rain-and-flooding
Week 8: A Fictional Narrative
Glacier's Wonderland
A glacier is a large, long-lasting mass of ice, formed on land and moves under its own weight. The Titanic is an example of how a glacier that later was an iceberg was seen. Sadly several lives were lost because the builders of the massive ship were not equipped for its impact and later sunken into the cold waters of the ocean. Valley glacier or alpine glacier is confined to a valley and flows from a higher to a lower elevation. John Hopkins Inlet (Glacier Bay National Park, Alaska) is an example of a valley glacier. It also shows examples of a horn, cirque, and U-shaped valley.
A crevasse was found on the glacier, it is a deep, wedge-shaped opening in a moving mass of ice. Icebergs are smaller pieces of ice that have broken off. example of iceberg A cave is a large underground chamber.
Limestone is prominent in this area as well as sandstone. Of which is poorly sorted, and angular. As for energy levels, it can fluctuate depending on the sediment movement, water and wind actions. Besides the use of these sediments in construction and landscape.
My husband works in West Texas (Midland) where there are parts that are a desert area and it is prominent in sandstone which would be well sorted and well rounded (specifically the same size). They would have several sand storms that would cover up their equipment and vehicles completely in sand. Ripple marks vary but show up in the direction the wind blows. In West Texas there would be more evidence of wind erosion because of the dry conditions.
For both areas, cliffs and ridges are common in that the materials compacted create solid mass. Overall every part of the United States will have various types of climates that ultimately affect the environment around them.
Week 10 - Earthquakes
I have a screenshot for my area (College Station, TX). There has not been any activity in the last 30 days. I feel safe in my area plainly because I have been here for almost 3 years and I know what goes on. I am sure we all take time to adjust to our new homes and what expect on a daily basis. Anywhere we choose to live will come with risks and unknown scenarios. I would think that we fear moving to a new state, new city, and never expect the worse until it happens. This technology will help those who care about earthquakes, and natural disasters so that we can be better prepared. This is the purpose of having welfare and emergency preparedness to help us no matter where we are in the world.
Week 11 - Plate Tectonics
"Plate Tectonics may have started 400 million years earlier than we thought." is an article I found online about the possibilities of finding the age of the Earth's movement. Harvard geologists have measured the Honeyeater Basalt in Western Australia. They found by tracking the changes in the orientation of the lava, they are able to determine how the craton is moving. I thought it was pretty interesting in that we are always looking for ways to find evidence from the past.
Reference:
W12 - Mid-Ocean Ridges
I had issues pulling up the elevation table to measure this Mid-Ocean Ridge near the Atlantic Ocean. This mid-ocean ridge, in particular, is located near Africa off the coast of Sierra Leone and Liberia. I used a regular ruler and I measured in kilometers along the ridge and it ranged from 25.79 kilometers to 35.75 kilometers (larger opening towards the left).
W13 - Climate Change
Thank you so much for all the support this semester! I wanted to end this week with my final GeoJournal for Fall Semester 2020! I hope you have a blessed holiday!!























Comments
Post a Comment